Year 8 Options
Year 8 is an important time for students, as they get to choose subjects they wish to study next academic year. In order to help with this choice, it is vital that parents and students are aware of the key dates and know how the options process takes place.
Most of the curriculum studied next year is directed by the Welsh Government. Therefore, students will study English, Mathematics (both Numeracy and Maths qualifications), Science, Welsh, Religious Studies and Games.
However, students will also be expected to choose three optional subjects as well. They will continue these subjects throughout Years 9, 10 and 11. Choosing the right options can be difficult for students which is why we endeavour to support students and parents as much as we can.
The key dates for this process are:
- Tuesday 24th January 2023 - Introduction Assembly for Year 8 students to explain the process.
- Friday 27th January 2023 - Subject presentations and booklets available on school website and Google Classrooms.
- Thursday 9th February 2023 - Free Choice Survey available on Google Classrooms. Click Here
- Thursday 16th February 2023 - Free Choice Survey deadline.
- Wednesday 22nd March 2023 - Year 8 Options & Parents’ Evening. Options form available on Google Classrooms.
- Thursday 30th March 2023 - Options form deadline. Forms must be completed by this date. Click Here
- Thursday 27th April 2023 Onwards - Student interviews with senior staff to discuss academic progress and option choices.
- Thursday 25th May 2023 - Confirmation letter to parents about student option choices.
- GCSE Art & Design
- GCSE Business
- GCSE Design & Technology (Fashion & Textiles)
- GCSE Design & Technology (Product Design)
- GCSE Drama
- GCSE French
- GCSE Geography
- GCSE Health and Social Care, and Childcare
- GCSE History
- GCSE Music
- GCSE Physical Education
- Level 1/2 Engineering
- Level 1/2 Hospitality & Catering
- Level 1/2 ICT
- NVQ Engineering (Construction)
- WBQ Skills Challenge Certificate